[Zope3-dev] the maintenance of change logs

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Sep 25 05:37:11 EDT 2006

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:31 PM, Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> On Friday 22 September 2006 12:52, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> I hope we can move to a pattern where projects gain a homepage somewhere
>>> on zope.org, including doctests and some other information, and the
>>> cheeseshop is used for everything else (pointing to the homepage on
>>> zope.org with the 'url' field in setup.py).
>>
>> Yep, me too. Sigh, I have to get to work again on the software site.
>
> It could be argued that, given existing tools like pypi and launchpad,
> that we should focus on other things.

I think that we should look into leveraging pypi as much as possible,
but that from a perspective of a project having a face and marketing it
to developers, it's important that at least the larger projects have a
homepage on zope.org.

The larger projects also will need a documentation presence larger than
what can be comfortably stuffed into PyPi. Tutorials, etc.

I also consider it very important that we have at least a *list* on
zope.org of zope 3 projects. :)

Stephan also worked hard on giving an idea of quality/maturity
indication for Zope 3 projects. While I think we should go carefully
with this, and definitely introduce such quality metrics gradually, I
think that presenting *some* of this information to the public could be
valuable over time. This cannot be presented on PyPi, so this is again
an argument for a presence on zope.org.

That said, please continue using PyPi and I also don't mind using
launchpad more; I definitely don't want to block anyone. I just consider
it important to consider project identity. Having an identity can go a
long way in creating a *community* around the software.

Regards,

Martijn