[Zope3-dev] RFC: Guide for maintaining software in the Zope repository

Andreas Jung lists at zopyx.com
Fri Aug 24 12:11:23 EDT 2007

--On 24. August 2007 09:25:14 -0400 Stephan Richter
<srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 August 2007 20:37, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> I would like to get your comments on it. No matter what this evolves to,
>> I wouldn't mind eventually seeing it set in stone with your blessings,
>> so that the checkin police can use it as the highway code to issue
>> tickets to anyone who's speeding on the repository lane.
>
> I don't like the section on coding style. A while back we agreed that
> people  can choose it freely as long as every package in the *namespace*
> has the same  style. So for example, ``zope`` and ``z3c`` use the
> original Zope 3  styleguide, while ``zc`` uses PEP8 compliance.
>
> This is much easier to keep track of than having to remember every
> package's  style.
>
> I personally do not like underscore-style method naming, so I would never
> use  it for packages that I am starting from scratch. I do honor other
> people's  decisions though, and would always follow the original author's
> style.  Consistency is better than correctness in this case. (I usually
> tend to value  correctness higher than consistency.)

We should not be too pendantic when it comes to coding styles. I assume
that most contributors to Zope 3 or Zope components know how to write code
the Zope 3 way. Now with Philipp's guide we have a document telling people
how to do it the right way. We still have the stick in our bag for the case
of the cases...

Andreas