[Zope3-dev] Re: Test layers for zope.app.* packages

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Feb 6 09:01:08 EST 2007

Fred Drake wrote:
> On 2/5/07, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
>> I have created zope.app egg two weeks back
>> (http://svn.zope.org/zope.app/trunk/)
>> I have used setuptools.find_packages function, so setuptools is a
>> dependency.
>> Should we need compatibility with distutils.core ?
>
> I suspect it's fine ok for an egg-supporting setup.py to depend on
> setuptools, though I'm wary of dependencies outside the Python
> standard library and our own code for basics.  Using zc.buildout
> ensures setuptools is part of a buildout anyway, so I'll get over my
> own little hangup pretty quickly.

An egg should only *depend* on setuptools if it uses things like
pkg_resources (e.g. for namespace packages). In that case even
zc.buildout yells at you for not depending on setuptools:

   zc.buildout.easy_install: Develop distribution for kss.core
   0.1dev-r37968 uses namespace packages but the distribution does not
   require setuptools.

That setuptools are required for *building* an egg goes without question.

Next Zope 3 training at Camp5: http://trizpug.org/boot-camp/camp5