[Zope3-dev] How well do CA registrations and lookups scale?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Feb 13 06:05:59 EST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 3:19 PM, Ross Patterson wrote:

> In the design I've been doing with the CA I keep running into
> a... "design pattern" (for lack of a better term) where I want to
> retrieve persistent objects using exactly the kind of registry lookup
> that the CA provides.  In the past I would have used a catalog to
> perform such lookups with sufficient performance.
>
> Registering the objects themselves as adapters where I need to do
> these lookups would be tres nifty but I don't know how well the CA
> scales.  Doing this through the CA would result in a huge
> proliferation of the number of adapter registrations.  Does anyone
> know how well this scales?  Does the performance of the CA lookups
> depend on the number of registrations being small relative to the
> number of content objects or users of an application?

The CA registry wasn't designed for huge numbers of components.  In
particular, there is extensive caching done that could lead to
excessive memory usage if there were a very large number of
components.  If you are ultimately looking up data, a traditional
data-indexing approach is more appropriate.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org