[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3.3.1

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Tue Feb 13 06:24:37 EST 2007

Hi.

Michael Kerrin wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2007 10:00, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>> On 13 Feb 2007, at 00:20 , Michael Kerrin wrote:
>>> On Monday 12 February 2007 10:41, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>> Althoug I had a slight problem starting Zope because of
>>> ZODB.winlock not
>>> working but considering all the problems I ran into to get the damn
>>> thing to
>>> compile I put this down to my lack of experience with Windows.
>> How did you compile Zope on Windows? I assume you used some version
>> of Visual Studio?
> with lots of fun:-)
>
> I compiled it with MinGW. I couldn't find Visual Studio 2003 and it refused to
> work with VS 2005. I also had to hack distutils to get around a problem where
> it couldn't find msvcr71 (???). So I am surprised I got this far to be
> honest.

While I haven't build Zope3 on Windows with MinGW yet, I assume it's
quite similar to Zope2. For the latter I have written down some
instructions as part of ploneout (the zc.buildout configuration for
Plone) at http://svn.plone.org/svn/plone/ploneout/trunk/WINDOWS.txt

While most of it should be known to you, the paragraph 'Configure
Distutils to use MinGW' might be of some interest. This should prevent
you from having to hack distutils and all 'python setup.py' commands
that involve building C extensions should use MinGW automatically. At
least 'python setup.py build_ext --inplace' works for Zope2 then.

All of the other stuff mentioned at
http://www.mingw.org/MinGWiki/index.php/Python%20extensions should not
be necessary anymore for recent versions of MinGW and Python 2.4.

HTH,
Hanno