[Zope3-dev] Some thoughts on Zope 3, Zope 3 applications, and Zope 3 instances

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jan 5 10:29:03 EST 2007

Reinoud van Leeuwen wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 05:12:18PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Some thoughts on Zope 3, Zope 3 applications, and Zope 3 instances
> [...]
>> I should note that there have been a number of sucessful Zope 3
>> applications that were not the OFS.  In fact, some of the earliest
>> production Zope 3 applications were not based on the OFS.
>
> One of the first Zope 3 applications I looked at was SchoolBell. I was
> charmed by the elegant structure after install: a bunch of libraries
> somewhere, and a single instance directory containing a configuration file
> (for SchoolBell only, not Zope), and start and stop scripts. The Data.fs
> file was built during the first run.

Where did log files end up? How about the zademon socket file?

> As a system administrator, this is how I like to see applications.

That's interesting.  As a developer, I like things to be
self contained.  Most Unix system administrators I know want me
to follow standard Unix file-system layour conventions (e.g.
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/).

Needs vary of course.  For large scale applications like the ones we
build, we need many instances for both scalability and redundancy.