[Zope3-dev] Re: Some thoughts on Zope 3, Zope 3 applications, and Zope 3 instances

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Sat Jan 6 13:48:15 EST 2007

Paul Everitt wrote:

> Thus, telling the Zope 3 core team to own and distribute the killer app
> is neither realistic nor fair.  Move Zope 3 to its natural turf and
> collaborate with folks that feel passionate about other turf.
>
> Application != the framework.

A very good point. Perhaps the future will be:

Developer learns Grok. Developer likes Grok. Developer improves Grok.
Developer finds that to improve Grok, he should help improve Zope 3.

And then maybe s/Grok/Plone/g or s/Grok/something else/g.

I'm obviously not in the business or position of telling people what to
do (well, ahem, maybe I do, at least in the Plone world, but that's
mostly just good intentions).

My concern is that we should make the framework accessible and
approachable, and that having a focal point and a "path through" the
framework is an important part of that. Grok is encouraging to me in
that regard. Plone is quite actively (but not wholesale any time soon)
moving in a direction where it becomes a strong consumer of Zope 3.
Hopefully, we'll see something else emerge as well that is conceptually
a combination of the two: End user-oriented and pure Zope 3.

I don't think anyone's argued otherwise, of course, I'm just pointing to
existing wisdom I've received and observed.

Martin