[Zope3-dev] RFC: test.py --list-modules

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Fri Jan 12 19:58:22 EST 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 6:33 PM, Marius Gedminas wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 05:17:18PM -0500, Benji York wrote:
>> Marius Gedminas wrote:
>>> I have implemented a --list-modules option in a branch.  It
>>> causes the
>>> test runner to apply package and module name filters, and then
>>> print the
>>> list of Python module names that would be imported.  It is very fast
>>> because it doesn't actually import the modules.  It is not very
>>> accurate
>>> because it does not pay attention to test name patterns or layer
>>> filtering.
>>>
>>> Would this option be useful to anybody?
>>
>> If its output were identical to the tests that were actually going
>> to be
>> selected, then I think it'd be worth including.
>
> That would be the proposed --list-tests option, wouldn't it?

> Or do you want a list of modules that have at least one test remaining
> after all the filtering (including --layer, --level and --test) is
> done?

I might use --list-modules for test-running debugging (i.e., it's not
finding my test--is it because it is not finding my module, or
what?).  That said, I can imagine more helpful tools for that use
case (i.e., a way to verbosely list all filters in play...if there's
not already something like that).

So what's your use cases for all of these?

I generally like the sound of these (modules, files, and tests), and
yes, I'd prefer this further-limited behavior for --list-tests.

Gary