[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 without ZODB

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jan 20 09:53:51 EST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 6:09 AM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm still continuing poking around (when I have the chance) to see
> how I'd get Zope running without ZODB.
>
> Does the following line:
>
> db = zope.app.appsetup.appsetup.multi_database(options.databases)[0]
> [0]
>
> ...from:
>
> http://svn.zope.org/Zope3/trunk/src/zope/app/server/main.py?
> rev=71011&view=markup
>
> ...mean that Zope 3 is currently hard-coded to need a ZODB?

That depends on what you mean by Zope 3.  If you define "Zope 3" as
zope.app.server.main, or zope.app.twisted.main, then yes, it is. I
wouldn't define it that way, although I can see how others might. :)

> If so, how should we go about making this optional?

You would need to write a different main program that did something
else. You would need to understand how the publisher framework worked
and plug in an alternate publication that traversed to non-ZODB
objects. Unfortunately, these frameworks were written before we got
the doctest religion, so there's no document that I'm aware of that
explains how to do this. It isn't very complicated. I have a strong
itch to write such a document, but I don't know when I'll get around
to scratching it.  I don't know if any of books get into this.

> (I am willing to put the work in to make this happen if people give
> me some hints...)

Other people have already made this happen. I don't know if any of
their code is public or if they have written up what they've done.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org