[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 without ZODB

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sat Jan 20 15:07:05 EST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

>> ...mean that Zope 3 is currently hard-coded to need a ZODB?
>
> That depends on what you mean by Zope 3.  If you define "Zope 3" as
> zope.app.server.main, or zope.app.twisted.main, then yes, it is. I
> wouldn't define it that way, although I can see how others might. :)

Well, for me, a Zope 3 instance is what you get when you run
mkzopeinstance. If there's other alternatives to that, I'd be interested
in exploring them :-)

>> If so, how should we go about making this optional?
>
> You would need to write a different main program that did something
> else.

Has anyone else attempted this? Does grok have one of these?

> You would need to understand how the publisher framework worked
> and plug in an alternate publication that traversed to non-ZODB objects.

I touched on this with my reply to Philip, but surely the publication
type should just be operating on objects that implement an interface?
It seems odd, at least to me, that I'd need to rewrite publications that
know about things like http, ftp and webdav just because the object I
want to publish come from a file system or relational database rather
than a zodb...

> do this. It isn't very complicated. I have a strong itch to write such a
> document, but I don't know when I'll get around to scratching it.  I
> don't know if any of books get into this.

I'll be blunt here, I'm more into app frameworks than server frameworks
so I'm far from best placed to do this work, but I do what to see more
freedom in where data served by zope 3 comes from and especially I'd to
find a way to have a "zope 3" not rely on a zodb being present at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love zodb, but it runs into problems of political
acceptance on the one hand and lack of support for high write volumes...

>> (I am willing to put the work in to make this happen if people give me
>> some hints...)
>
> Other people have already made this happen. I don't know if any of their
> code is public or if they have written up what they've done.

This is a bit cryptic... are you saying there is an "alternative zope 3"
that already has alternatives to zope.app.server.main or
zope.app.twisted.main? If so, where are they to be found?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk