[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 without ZODB

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sun Jan 21 11:02:36 EST 2007

On Jan 20, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I would *much* rather see us open this up by making this part of
>> Zope 3 more modular and putting more emphasis on explaining what
>> is going on and how one would do something different.
>
> big +1 from me...
>
>> Here's what I'd like to see:
>> 1. Separate server definition from application definition.  They
>> are way too interwoven now.  I'd like to see us move to Paste
>> Deploy (or something based on the framework it defines).
>
> Is this the seperation of "what objects are being served" from
> "what protocols are being served" that I mentioned in my other reply?

Someone. More it's a separation of the server definition from the
application definition.

> In my dreams, it'd be great if I could just wire in a different
> IApplication utility to get the root of the object tree and just
> leave the zodb section of zope.conf empty. How hard would that be
> to achieve?

There are two parts of your question.  Making it simpler to plug in a
different application root, and dealing with ZConfig.

Ironically, the current publication object doesn't make much use of
the component architecture.  This is a historical accident.  I'd like
to see a different publication object that did use the component
architecture more.  I did some work on this in my bobo project:

   http://svn.zope.org/zope.bobo/trunk/src/zope/bobo/

In particular, you might find:

   http://svn.zope.org/zope.bobo/trunk/src/zope/bobo/publication.txt?
view=auto

To be interesting reading.

WRT ZConfig.  I find myself fighting ZConfig a lot.  If I were to
write a new main program, I wouldn't use it at all.  In fact, I would
probably use a much simpler model like that used by Paste Deploy.  I
really don't want to have a ZConfig argument though. I got out voted
on that last year.  If you do want to use ZConfig, you could simply
use the application schema defined in zope.app.appsetup rather than
the ones in the server packages.

> (the 2nd bit of it is important, I don't want zodbs opened,
> especially if they're never going to get used)

Of course.

>> 2. Document how to use the zope.publisher framework to define web
>> applications.  It isn't very complicated, it just needs some
>> documentation.  I made a beginning of of this in my aborted bobo
>> project.  A good start for examples would be a hello-world app,
>> the existing zope 3 app, and, I assume, Grok.
>
> Yes, I'm curious about Grok too here, I hope someone who knows from
> that project will pipe up. Would the hello-world app be akin to the
> stuff I was nosing around in zope.app.appsetup?

BTW, the bobo project has a simple hello app. I'm not working on that
project any more, but I don't have time to. I wish I did.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I have a number of projects
like that.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org