[Zope3-dev] Fwd: Preferring final releases

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 5 10:03:05 EDT 2007

On Jul 5, 2007, at 9:54 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Thursday 05 July 2007 09:43, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Specifically: Should I make it the default policy for buildout to
>> prefer final releases?  I think this is the right thing to do in the
>> long run, however, it will cause buildouts that implicitly use non-
>> final eggs to be downgraded.  This will cause some pain until people
>> make adjustments.
>
> I am fine with this change, since I tend to do final releases more
> frequently
> than others. In other words, I trust my testing and if I did not
> change
> anything ground-breaking, I usually release a final version
> quickly. I can
> see that you are using version numbers differently, but that's fine
> with me
> too.

I'm not sure I am.

For smaller packages, I'm inclined to avoid non-final releases most
of the time.  For larger packages, most notably ZODB, I think non-
final releases are needed.  If a package depends on a non-final
release, then the dependent package should also be non-final.  So, a
small packages that might not normally need non-final releases, might
have to use a non-final release to be able to use a new feature in
something else that has been released in a non-final form.

> And for the case that I need the cutting edge, as long as you tell
> me the
> option to use for getting the latest releases, then I am fine. :-)

I'm adding a prefer-final buildout option.  The value can be either
true or false.  The questions is what the default should be.  You can
override the default either in a specific buildout or for all your
buildouts (~/.buildout/default.cfg).

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org