[Zope3-dev] Re: Trunk open for feature development towards Zope 3.5

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Jul 5 12:00:10 EDT 2007

On 5 Jul 2007, at 17:18 , Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Thursday 05 July 2007 10:48, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what the interaction patterns are, e.g. who's
>>> responsible
>>> for updating the tree's pointers to newer packages. The
>>> maintainers of
>>> those packages? They probably know best ...
>>
>> I disagree. While Stephan raises a few good points that still need to
>> be adressed for the tree, I personally prefer not working with the
>> tree anymore. If people want to keep it around, that's fine, but then
>> they should maintain it.
>
> I disagree. This is like saying Zope 3.4.0 comes out, so we do not
> support
> Zope 3.3. People have real-world projects and we cannot ignore
> them. Just
> because we live on the edge, we cannot expect that other people do.
> There are
> still people out there using the <editform> directive and macro-
> based UI
> patterns!

That's fine. I think we *are* paying our dues to backward
compatibility by releasing Zope 3.4.x as the traditional tarball and
by keeping a tree with externals, in addition to doing the eggs
stuff. For *3.4.x*, I agree it's necessary, but I'm very skeptical
towards any efforts beyond that. In particular, I wouldn't want to
see those individual projects restricted by any release management
for a "Zope 3.5" that the subject suggests. I doubt that there'll be
a "Zope 3.5".

Regarding Christian's original question, I propose to proceed as
follows:

* since the Zope 3.4 branch of the tree and its releases as tarballs
are officially maintained, it should be the Zope 3.4 release
manager's job to stitch in all the appropriate tags at the right time
(*making* tags of the individual projects shouldn't have to be his
task, though).

* the trunk of the tree is in the hands of whoever wants to keep
running it.