[Zope3-dev] Re: Trunk open for feature development towards Zope 3.5

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Thu Jul 5 11:42:41 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2007, at 16:45 , Christian Theune wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, den 05.07.2007, 16:32 +0200 schrieb Philipp von
>> Weitershausen:
>>> It should be noted that the 'Zope3' tree actually contains little
>>> or no
>>> code at this point.
>>>
>>> I haven't yet see you make tags of the individual projects where
>>> necessary. Will there be tags of those to represent their state in
>>> the
>>> Zope 3.4.0b1 release? What about when we go final?
>> Right. I will make tags when we go final, I won't make tags until then
>> because it's such a pain to keep them synchronised.
>
> Fair enough.
>
>> After the 3.4 final,
>> we will (hopefully) never again point an external to a branch or the
>> trunk but to tags and update the references as needed.
>
> Agreed. Note that a few packages already have 3.4.x with x>=0 tags.
> Not that that's a problem, just so you know :).
>
>> I'm not sure what the interaction patterns are, e.g. who's responsible
>> for updating the tree's pointers to newer packages. The maintainers of
>> those packages? They probably know best ...
>
> I disagree. While Stephan raises a few good points that still need to
> be adressed for the tree, I personally prefer not working with the
> tree anymore. If people want to keep it around, that's fine, but then
> they should maintain it.

And their goals are likely different than the package maintainers:  the
"big tree" should prefer stability in its dependencies, and include new
versions only when a particular feature / bugfix is deemed necessary.

Note that I don't think we have figured out yet how to handle the "known
good working set" problem:  not having a handle on that is actually the
biggest risk of eggification (really, of the "satellite project" model).
Continuous integration (e.g., buildbot testing) against such a working
set should be a major goal for us going forward.

Tres.
- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com