[Zope3-dev] Re: Windows eggs

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 13 12:14:49 EDT 2007

On Jul 13, 2007, at 11:31 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Friday 13 July 2007 11:23, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> Once we reach steady state, I'd like to see everything in the cheese
>> shop.  Unfortunately, I hate crapping poorly packaged eggs there. :
>> (  I'm not sure what to do about that given the time availability of
>> current volunteers.
>>
>> It would be great if people who had time and were looking for easy
>> projects would adopt some packages and make sure they are packaged
>> well, especially with good overview information and on-line
>> documentation.   I don't have much time for this in the short term,
>> although I'll certainly chip away at it in the long term.
>
> What does a good package contain? I have tried hard to follow the
> example of
> the existing packages, but are they good? I think we need to
> develop some
> guidelines first, before we can ask people to do the work.

Fair enough. We're still learning, but ....

IMO, a could release should have:

- a good overview, and preferably

- on-line documentation

Of course, the standard meta data should be filed in to a reasonable
degree.

Mainly what I'm looking for is a good faith effort.

For example, IMO, zope.proxy is inadequate:

   http://www.python.org/pypi/zope.proxy/3.4.0

I released it anyway because it is a dependency of ZODB, but I wasn't
happy.  I really want to go bask and provide some basic documentation.

We have soo much work to do on packaging.  Oh well, we'll get their
eventually.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org