[Zope3-dev] Re: Windows eggs

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Jul 13 13:14:23 EDT 2007

On Friday 13 July 2007 12:14, Jim Fulton wrote:
> IMO, a could release should have:
>
> - a good overview, and preferably
>
> - on-line documentation

Right, I think this is well-served for packages that have doctests. I think
that your example of including the dotest files into the long description is
a good thing. However, I have noticed some problems with regard to PyPI:

1. It does not support unicode. I had some problems with characters before,
but I cannot remember the details.

2. The PyPI website does not encode the long description, causing text with
HTML to not display correctly. I have avoided this problem by escaping the
long description myself, but then you loose the REST conversion. (See
z3c.form.)

> Of course, the standard meta data should be filed in to a reasonable
> degree.

Okay, I think most of the packages provide a lot of the info with exception of
the Trove classifiers. They are very important for marketing reasons, because
the PyPI Package browser (http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=browse)
recognizes them and uses them to organize the packages. I think it would be
awesome, if it would say: "Zope 3 (300 [packages])".

OT: Did you notice that 17 out of 20 package updates today where
Zope-related? :-)

> Mainly what I'm looking for is a good faith effort.

I think in the long term it will be most beneficial, if we convert all tests
to doctests; then a reasonable on-line documentation is not that hard to
provide.

Regards,
Stephan
--