[Zope3-dev] RFC: zopeproject

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Jul 18 15:13:21 EDT 2007

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote at 2007-7-18 01:13 +0200:
>Imagine you're writing a GUI application. Without question you'd use
>some sort of GUI toolkit (e.g. wxPython). Would you expect you would
>have to hook into the the "wxPython application" as a plug-in? Isn't it
>more natural that you simply write your application and just use the
>wxPython *library* wherever necessary?

Is this not the difference between a framework and a library?

 An application uses a framework by hooking its components into
 the framework.

 A library is used directly -- only miminal hooking and callbacks
 are used.

I view GUI frameworks typically as plugging my application parts into
the GUI (which triggers my application code) -- especially, if the
UI is build by an UI-builder...

>Zope 3 has now been successfully split up into separate pieces:
>individual libraries. I'd therefore like to propose an alternate
>approach to developing web applications with Zope: the library one,
>rather than the pluggable app one.

I prefer the standard approach:

  I see a framework -- Zope
  and a large number of application components that plug themself
  into the common framework.
  The application, in fact a complete collection of mini-applications
  is configured via objects in the ZODB and can be extended TTW.

--
Dieter