[Zope3-dev] Re: Please don't use svn.zope.org urls in distutils homepage urls

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Jul 27 12:16:52 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> There's a "url" option to the setup function in setup scripts.  I've
> used values like: 'http://svn.zope.org/myproject'. This was a mistake.
> setuptools will search this value and this is putting pointless and
> harmful pressure on the view cvs interface.  We've configured apache to
> reject setuptools requests to viewcvs for now.  Please don't use
> svn.zope.org in the URL option any more and change any packages you're
> responsible for to not use it.

If the package in question doesn't have its own "homepage", I suggest
using its CheeseShop URL (http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/EGGNAME). If
your package has a meaningful long_description (typically lifted from a
README.txt file), the CheeseShop page can actually make a decent
homepage for libraries.