[Zope3-dev] Re: translation of zope3

Hanno Schlichting plone at hannosch.info
Thu Jun 21 04:46:38 EDT 2007

Hi.

Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> You bring a good point to my attention. Now that each package is its
>> own project with a separate release cycle, we should split up the
>> translations and maintain them for each package. Mostly 'zope.app.*'
>> packages (with a few exceptions such as zope.formlib) will have
>> translations.
>>
>> Given that the extraction tool left source markers in the translation
>> files, I think this task could be automated. Would be a fun project
>> for somebody :)
>
> I've already thought about it and I think the following steps should be
> performed:
>
> 1. Move all Python modules from zope.app.locales to zope.i18nmessageid
> (or maybe to zope.i18n?).

I'd prefer zope.i18n as these scripts are more general. The
zope.i18nmessageid package is really just about messageid's and useful
without zope.i18n.

> 2. Write a tool for splitting up translations. I think the tool will be
> useful not only for the case and it would be cool if the tool could
> extract, split and merge translations.

You should also be able to run the extract tool on each individual
package (probably you would want to script that considering the number
of packages).

For extra functionality make sure you look at the various msg* tools
available in the gettext package first. msgmerge and msggrep probably do
quite a lot of what you are looking for. My i18ndude package also has
some of these options and is meanwhile based on the same extraction
logic as the scripts in zope.app.locales.

> 3. Split up the existing translations.
> 4. Remove zope.app.locales altogether.
>
> If nobody objects I can perform the steps above.
>
> Open questions:
>
> - What about translations.launchpad.net? Is there are way to create
> templates for all translated packages in the zope3 project?

AFAIK you need to upload each individual pot file yourself or a zip file
containing both the template and the po files. If the security settings
haven't changed yet, each new template needs to be reviewed by some
person from launchpad, which could take some time. In my experience
there aren't that good at supporting non-ubuntu-included projects.

Hanno