[Zope3-dev] Re: translation of zope3

Dmitry Vasiliev dima at hlabs.spb.ru
Thu Jun 21 09:32:10 EDT 2007

Hanno Schlichting wrote:
> Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
>> 1. Move all Python modules from zope.app.locales to zope.i18nmessageid
>> (or maybe to zope.i18n?).
>
> I'd prefer zope.i18n as these scripts are more general. The
> zope.i18nmessageid package is really just about messageid's and useful
> without zope.i18n.

Agreed, I've just looked at the source files and think zope.i18n more
suitable for the extract module. BTW I've just discovered that only
small piece of the pygettext module is actually used and I think
unneeded code can be removed.

>> 2. Write a tool for splitting up translations. I think the tool will be
>> useful not only for the case and it would be cool if the tool could
>> extract, split and merge translations.
>
> You should also be able to run the extract tool on each individual
> package (probably you would want to script that considering the number
> of packages).

i18nextract.py already does it, maybe just need some code cleanup.

> For extra functionality make sure you look at the various msg* tools
> available in the gettext package first. msgmerge and msggrep probably do
> quite a lot of what you are looking for. My i18ndude package also has
> some of these options and is meanwhile based on the same extraction
> logic as the scripts in zope.app.locales.

Thank you for the links, I'll look at them.

--
Dmitry Vasiliev <dima at hlabs.spb.ru>
http://hlabs.spb.ru