[Zope3-dev] Specifying upper limits in dependencies

Bernd Dorn bernd.dorn at lovelysystems.com
Wed Jun 27 11:35:53 EDT 2007

On 27.06.2007, at 16:01, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the recent introduction of zope.app.keyreference-3.5dev with it's
> dependency on ZODB 3.9 brought some issues for me as I get
> conflicts in
> various buildouts (e.g. z3c.zalchemy).
>
> In my example, z3c.zalchemy doesn't care about which version of
> zope.app.keyreference it gets, as even the newer one won't affect us.
>
> I'd like to re-visit the discussion about "stable package versions"
> and
> how to approach the distutils list to get what we want.
>
> Currently I resolve this issue by putting a specific version in my
> project's buildout and leave the package (e.g. z3c.zalchemy) alone.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is the strategy we should use. Should
> z3c.zalchemy say: I'm good with zope.app.keyreference==3.4 (with our
> proposed syntax, or <3.5dev with the current syntax)?

you have to write <=3.4.999 afaik, see the previsous discussions.

the point is that any new feature should increase the number after
the first dot and should be backward compatible with previous versions
incompatablities should result in a new major version, so it would be
ok to write <3.9999

the problem here is that the update of zope.app.keyreference is
introducing indirect incompatiblilities not know yet but still starts
with a 3 as mayor version, which is not ok imo because we can not be
sure that this change is backward compatible with the 3.4 version. it
should be 4.0.0a1 because it switches to zodb 3.9. I already
discussed with gary about this in a thread on this list from today.