[Zope3-dev] Specifying upper limits in dependencies

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed Jun 27 11:38:42 EDT 2007

On Jun 27, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the recent introduction of zope.app.keyreference-3.5dev with it's
> dependency on ZODB 3.9 brought some issues for me as I get
> conflicts in
> various buildouts (e.g. z3c.zalchemy).
>
> In my example, z3c.zalchemy doesn't care about which version of
> zope.app.keyreference it gets, as even the newer one won't affect us.
>
> I'd like to re-visit the discussion about "stable package versions"
> and
> how to approach the distutils list to get what we want.
>
> Currently I resolve this issue by putting a specific version in my
> project's buildout and leave the package (e.g. z3c.zalchemy) alone.
>
> I'm not sure whether this is the strategy we should use. Should
> z3c.zalchemy say: I'm good with zope.app.keyreference==3.4 (with our
> proposed syntax, or <3.5dev with the current syntax)?
>
> I'd like to see some consensus on how we handle those ...

Hey.

Agreed.  I just expressed some thoughts about this in my reply to
Bernd.  In sum, I currently believe that what you describe is the
best solution of a bad lot.  Dependencies are supposed to solve this
problem, so let them.  I try to give a bit more argument for my
position in the other email.

Gary