[Zope3-dev] Re: Some thoughts for future releases of Zope 3

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Fri Mar 23 11:49:50 EDT 2007

Christian Theune wrote:
>> All eggs of a particular release will be available from :
>> http://download.zope.org/distribution/zope3/ .  Here is some future
>> locations:
>>
>>   3.4.0 - distribution/zope3/3.4.0
>>   3.4.1 - distribution/zope3/3.4.1
>>   3.5.0 - distribution/zope3/3.5.0
>>
>> For 3.4.0 all individual packages will be having a unique version
>> number (3.4.0), but this won't be the case for 3.5.0, in Zope 3.5.0
>> zope.interface may be still in 3.4.0 version.
>>
>> In PyPI we will put all latest stable releases of individual packages,
>> so a package in PyPI may be a newer version compared to the latest
>> Zope 3 release.  Then, to install a particular Zope 3 release, user
>> should always use download.zope.org as eggs location
>> (--find-links option in easy_install or zc.buildout).
>
> I think we can have a meta-package for "the Zope application" that
> defines a dependency for all packages, some of those might still be
> 3.4.0 whilst others might be 3.5.1 etc. I don't think we really need the
> download areas to gather the eggs.
>
>> We *should* make 'zpkg' based releases, until 3.6 release.
>
> Right. Maybe even longer, I don't know.

-1

We *should* be making releases that you install using "configure; make;
make install", but they don't necessarily have to use zpkg. I would
prefer if they'd install eggs.

> We *really* have to start
> spreading the word on how to develop a Zope application with buildout if
> we want to retire our normal releases.

-0

Documenting buildout is one thing, eggifying Zope another. I personally
don't think we should be tying Zope 3 developers to buildout. It's a
nice tool for some things, for others it's not.

What we *should* do is teach people how to use an eggified Zope.

> We also have to think about the PR issues we're gonna face IMHO. We
> might decide to not do anything for PR, but we should have looked at the
> consequences and know what we're heading for.

Not sure what that means.