[Zope3-dev] zope.app.twisted.main and zope multiservice

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Thu May 3 10:59:01 EDT 2007

Hi. I'm really wanting to do more with twisted in zope. One thing that
would make this much easier is to have a means of getting hold of the
twisted multiservice following startup as opposed to using a different
main.py (as I have been) to allow the other services to be added,
started or stopped at, or any time following startup.

There are use cases for starting and stopping particular services (a
short interval) also. An api should be flexible enough to add other
clients and servers to the mix.

Right now there is no way of getting the multiservice from the current
main script. What is needed is a class that could be given this object
so that there is a means to access it directly in an app. The
multiservice is an important object from the standpoint of being able to
start, stop, or add other services to the multiservice (from other
packages) even after the main zope startup. A small api for determining
what services are part of the multiservice and methods to add or remove
services from the running reactor could be added (since these methods
are available in twisted).

I am hoping by bringing this up that there may be some discussion on how
best to accomplish this. I know that Jim has communicated recent
interest in a twisted version of ZEO. I share the goal of having a
secure transport between clients and servers, however there are many
more opportunities for twisted in zope. Being able to access the
multiservice is important to this. Many thanks.

Regards,
David