[Zope3-dev] tracking satellite project's trunks

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Thu May 3 12:13:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 03.05.2007, 12:08 -0400 schrieb Fred Drake:
> On 5/3/07, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:
> > I started moving packages to their own projects (manually right now,
> > preparing for doing this scripted) and noticed that zope.index is
> > tracked with a specific revision number.
> >
> > My understanding is that the trunk of the Zope 3 tree should be tracking
> > the trunk of the satellite project's tree without pinning it to a
> > revision.
>
> Probably my fault; I've become really wary of externals that aren't specific.

Right. However, my suspicion would be that whoever makes a change to the
trunk on a satellite shouldn't have to go to the Zope 3 trunk.

Also, maintainers of the Zope 3 tree shouldn't have to read every commit
message to update the reference (doing so would be pointless, that what
not pinning the external is for).

When moving to a release of Zope 3 we should update those externals to
specific revisions or tags though. (Tags being preferred IMHO as we only
want software of at least the same degree of stability, right?)

> Frankly, I don't *really* care how the Zope 3 tree refers to satellite
> projects.  My hope is that I can very quickly get away from ever
> looking at the Zope 3 conglomeration (checkout or release), and only
> use the satellite projects.

:)

> Conversely, I care very much about the satellite projects not
> referring to the Zope 3 tree, and look forward to what you're working
> on today.

Thanks, good to hear that. I'll keep on walking ...