[Zope3-dev] Re: egg version numbers and zope releases

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu May 31 03:59:59 EDT 2007

Benji York wrote:
>> Even if developers remembered, it would be icky to have to spell out
>> something like >=3.4 <=3.99 on everwhere.
>
> Not as icky (IMHO) as having distribution names with embedded major
> version numbers.  I'm interested in other people's opinions here.

I'm definitely in agreement here. Everytime I type BTreeFolder2 I feel
like someone's killing a kitten somewhere.

It's a shame setuptools doesn't take care of this properly :-/

(where my definition of properly is that "major releases" like 2.0, 3.0
are assumed to be backwards incompatible such that 3.0 won't satisfy a
 >=2.0)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk