[Zope3-dev] Re: How to deal with major versions? (was Re: Re: egg version numbers and zope releases)

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu May 31 15:29:58 EDT 2007

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote at 2007-5-30 15:30 -0400:
>> IMO, having every dependency look like:
>>
>>    project_name >=X.y.z <X.999
>>
>> Is too cumbersome.
>
> Maybe, we should put this into perspective:
>
>    What part of our time do we spend on the specification
>    of dependancies? 0.01 per cent?

True. However, the problem does not arise when specifying the
dependency. The problem will arise when the dependencies were too loose
and all of a sudden a version that's "too new" is pulled in (because it
also satisfies the dependency constraint).

> Furthermore, a new major version probably introduces some backward
> incompatibilities. However that does not mean that a given
> component will not work with the new major version.
>
> In fact, I rarely have to change my components to support new
> major versions.
>
> Thus, it may not be that often we have to specify "< X.9999".

Yes, I suspect the same. Also, I think that we can try to be less
disruptive in the future.