How to deal with major versions? (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: egg version numbers and zope releases)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Thu May 31 14:03:09 EDT 2007

Jim Fulton wrote at 2007-5-30 15:30 -0400:
>IMO, having every dependency look like:
>
>    project_name >=X.y.z <X.999
>
>Is too cumbersome.

Maybe, we should put this into perspective:

   What part of our time do we spend on the specification
   of dependancies? 0.01 per cent?

Furthermore, a new major version probably introduces some backward
incompatibilities. However that does not mean that a given
component will not work with the new major version.

In fact, I rarely have to change my components to support new
major versions.

Thus, it may not be that often we have to specify "< X.9999".

--
Dieter