AW: [Zope3-dev] zope.app.securitypolicy deferred imports errors.

Roger Ineichen dev at projekt01.ch
Tue Oct 2 06:03:00 EDT 2007

Hi Lennart

> Betreff: [Zope3-dev] zope.app.securitypolicy deferred imports errors.
>
> Roger Inechens split of zope.app.securitypolicy into
> zope.securitypolicy cause loads of problems, because many of
> the deferred imports were incorrect. I saw Stefan Richter
> fixed some, and I have fixed some more.

Yes you are right

> First somebody that can make releases (which may or may not
> include me, I honestly don't know who can make releases of
> eggs) needs to make a new one. But we also need to avoid this
> stuff in the future.

Yes, we always have to avoid errors, but sometimes it happens.
And since we dont test against the trunk, we don't see this
kind of errors anymore. This means we test against custom
projects. I didn't fully recognize this and was trusting the
tests. But I was wrong. We don't have tests for this anymore.
We probably didn't have test for my error at all.

In other words; Right now we only test if a egg works
within their dependency. But we don't test other eggs
if they work with the egg we develop.

See all my different mails about this topic!

> How is the recommended process to solve this? Some sort of
> unittest to make sure the deferred impoirt work? Is there an
> example of this somewhere?

I'm proposing to test against a set of possible breaking
stuff. This means we need a kind of zope3 trunk egg which
our test will deoend on.

See the mails form Stpehan Richter about that. Jim also
agrees on that but is thinking this should be optional
as far as I understand the mails between Stephan and Jim.

We defently lost the overall tests we had in the trunk setup.
And this is a very bad idea. If we don't recommend to run
all tests again form a single egg refactoring, we will
see more errors like this.

Some of us are thinking about to automate this
tests with buildbot. But this tests will only test released
packages which is also bad. I think the only way to automate
such tests can be supported by a staging server.

I personaly think, less test -- more errors.
Even if we try hard to avoid errors during development.

Regards
Roger Ineichen