[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.dottedname doesn't have a CHANGES.txt (again?)

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Oct 2 17:05:43 EDT 2007

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> A release of zope.dottedname was made apparently today that refers to a
> CHANGES.txt but doesn't have one. Probable scenario: someone forgot to
> svn add a CHANGES.txt, then didn't check out before the tag before
> releasing...

Right. This is actually a *common* mistake. Not everybody believed me
when I sad that it was. I think we've got proof of this once more now.

A couple of days ago I added some very explicit instructions on how you
should make a release to my guide [1]. Basically it says you should
*first* make a tag and only create the release *from the tag*. I hope
that people will take this more seriously now.

It's not that I consider my guide to be a papal edict (I'm not Jim,
after all), but it *is* based on experience and best practices. Having
made releases for many Zope eggs (if you want proof, just look at [2]),
I think I can safely say that I know my way around the pitfalls now.
That said, I welcome any suggestion that other people have while
creating releases. We need to get better at this stuff!

[1]
http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/maintaining-software.txt
[2] http://wiki.zope.org/zope3/StabilizeEggPackages