[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.dottedname doesn't have a CHANGES.txt (again?)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 2 17:14:52 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> A release of zope.dottedname was made apparently today that refers
>> to a CHANGES.txt but doesn't have one. Probable scenario: someone
>> forgot to svn add a CHANGES.txt, then didn't check out before the
>> tag before releasing...
>
> Right. This is actually a *common* mistake. Not everybody believed
> me when I sad that it was. I think we've got proof of this once
> more now.
>
> A couple of days ago I added some very explicit instructions on how
> you should make a release to my guide [1]. Basically it says you
> should *first* make a tag and only create the release *from the
> tag*. I hope that people will take this more seriously now.

I do,

> It's not that I consider my guide to be a papal edict (I'm not Jim,
> after all),

:)

It would help if you would split out the release making part so we
can focus on that.

> but it *is* based on experience and best practices. Having made
> releases for many Zope eggs (if you want proof, just look at [2]),
> I think I can safely say that I know my way around the pitfalls now.

Agreed.

> That said, I welcome any suggestion that other people have while
> creating releases. We need to get better at this stuff!

Yup. See above about separating the release instructions.

One hole I see is giving people guidance on what needs to be tested
(and how) before a release is made.  My preference would be to rely
heavily on judgement with a few checks so as not to make things too
heavy.  This might rule out some releasers.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation