[Zope3-dev] Re: Release process closure

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Oct 4 09:18:51 EDT 2007

On Oct 4, 2007, at 6:51 AM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:

> On 4 Oct 2007, at 00:59 , Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> Done: http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/
>>> releasing-software.txt
>>
>> Cool.  I think you can delete 5b.  You already update the date, as
>> you should, on the trunk or branch.  You want the actual release
>> date to be part of the change log, so it has to be entered before
>> making the tag.
>
> Done.
>
>> I think we need to split "d" into:
>>
>>  d) "Create a source release"
>>
>>  e) Test the source release. At a minimum, rerun the package tests
>> using the source release.
>>       (I really need to add a buildout option to help with this.)
>
> So how would I do this? This feels a bit complicated:
>
>   1. Create a source distribution with::
>
>        $ python setup.py sdist
>
>   2. Extract the tarball::
>
>        $ tar xzf dist/foo.package-X.Y.tgz
>
>   3. Edit buildout.cfg to make the result of the tarball a develop
> egg *instead* of
>      the stuff in 'src'::
>
>        [buildout]
>        develop = foo.package-X.Y
>
>   4. Rerun the buildout::
>
>        $ bin/buildout
>
>   5. Run the tests::
>
>        $ bin/test

No. :)

Currently, you could:

   - Create the source distro. (Note that I always use sparkling
clean Pythons, so the command you give
     doesn't work for me as setuptools isn't importable. I always
use: bin/buildout setup . sdist

   - Add your dist directory to the list of find links

   - Specify the new version in your requirements

   - remove the develop entry

   - run the buildout

   - run the tests

As I said, buildout could automate this in the future.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation