[Zope3-dev] Re: Release process closure

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Thu Oct 4 06:51:23 EDT 2007

On 4 Oct 2007, at 00:59 , Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> I'd really like to get to closure on the current approved release
>>> process. Philipp, would you mind separating the release process
>>> into a separate file?  Or do you mind if I do it?
>>
>> Done: http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/Sandbox/philikon/foundation/
>> releasing-software.txt
>
> Cool.  I think you can delete 5b.  You already update the date, as
> you should, on the trunk or branch.  You want the actual release
> date to be part of the change log, so it has to be entered before
> making the tag.

Done.

> I think we need to split "d" into:
>
>  d) "Create a source release"
>
>  e) Test the source release. At a minimum, rerun the package tests
> using the source release.
>       (I really need to add a buildout option to help with this.)

So how would I do this? This feels a bit complicated:

   1. Create a source distribution with::

        $ python setup.py sdist

   2. Extract the tarball::

        $ tar xzf dist/foo.package-X.Y.tgz

   3. Edit buildout.cfg to make the result of the tarball a develop
egg *instead* of
      the stuff in 'src'::

        [buildout]
        develop = foo.package-X.Y