[Zope3-dev] Re: zope.error is a 3.5 egg, but is needed by 3.4.x releases

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Oct 5 14:15:19 EDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 1:59 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> On Oct 5, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> zope.error is a 3.5 egg, but is needed by 3.4.x releases. I guess
>>> this also happened because large package refactorings happened
>>> and were released as 3.4.x releases. It's pretty bizarre to run
>>> into, though.
>> The satellite projects have version #s that are independent from
>> the Zope version #s. Any similarity is a hysterical accident. :)
>
> I don't understand.

Probably because you didn't provide specifics so My answer is to a
different question than you may have been asking. :)

> zope.error is zope.app.error,

I don't know what this means.

> but moved to a new place. zope.app.error, is, I understand, gone now.

I have no idea about this specific move.  If there was a
zope.app.error before, then distributions of it should still exist
and new distributions should be backward compatible.

> zope.error 3.5 is needed by:

>   required by zope.app.applicationcontrol 3.4.1.
>   required by zope.app.appsetup 3.4.1.
>   required by zope.app.publication 3.4.2.

OK. I'm not sure what the issue is here.

> Are these "satellite projects"? What is a satellite project?

Yes. These are satellite projects.  We use the word "satallite
project" for the new individual egg projects to distinguish them from
the classic Zope 3 tree.

Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation