[Zope-Perl] Beginer zope use question on PERL

John Baur jeb@ec-group.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:50:43 -0600

1) http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/download/

2) I do not recognize the error.

RE: Perl, down load the source, syntax below, README files also have all =
you
need.

Here are the steps I had to go through.

Why is installing ZopePerl such a brain numbing experience? I am trying
to save some developmental time on my part to use my Perl knowledge
to script stuff I can use in Zope. I do plan to pick up some things in
python, but for right now, I can be much more productive with Perl.
>From some postings I have seen, some of this can be blamed on SUN,
but can the configure be smarter? SUN has responded to all the
complaining about included utilities with the OS, so it created the
companion CD with tons of GNU stuff. So what, ZopePerl can not be
installed until pyperl is there. This can not be there unless Perl is com=
piled

with MULTI_THREAD, by default SUN's package is not compiled this
way.
Oh yea, SUN's /usr/ccs/bin/make does not work with all this either.
The only thing I was able to use was gmake that came with the
Companion CD. Gcc?, Had to download the source and compile that
too. Binutils? Had to download them from sunfreeware.com, looks like
they work ok.

Sum Total What Stuff had to be fetched, installed,
compiled, etc=85
binutils-2.11.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
pyperl-1.0
perl-5.6.1
zoperl-1.0.beta5
ActivePython-2.1.1-212
Distutils-1.0.2.tar
gcc-3.0.3.tar

Gcc configure options
vulture@/usr/local/source/gcc-3.0.3-> ./configure
--with-as=3D/usr/local/bin/as --with-ld=3D/usr/local/bin/ld --enable-shar=
ed

Compile Perl with thread support: sh Configure -Dusethreads

 Install pyperl
install zoperl
Stop and start Zope,
Library error,