[Committers] my platform

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Tue Jun 13 13:18:40 EDT 2006

Hi there,

Just to have some information out there, even though most people already
know what we're all about, I'll just say something about where my
interests lie and which directions I'd like to go into if I were to be
elected to the board. Some of it is pretty general and vague. The most
concrete bit is that we need to fix the way we present Zope on the web.

I promise to lower taxes and free beer for everyone! um, okay, maybe not. :)

It's a bit hard to say in general now how the board will actually
operate in practice. Much of what the board does is appointing people to
the various councils that are really going to lead the day to day
management of Zope. That said, that gives the board a bit of influence,
though what that amounts to in practice I do not know. That's what makes
it so interesting to be on the initial board - one can get to figure
that out.

So, lots of these ideas I mention below are probably only indirectly
related to whatever the board is doing - it's important for open source
contributors to be able to manage themselves. Besides the ideas and
directions I indicate below I also need to listen carefully to what the
committers (and Zope users in general) say and want. Let me know; I'll
probably argue with you and then adjust my ideas to make room for yours. :)

open source and roadmaps
========================

Zope is an open source project. We generally work with scarce volunteer
resources. We should have ambitious plans but at the same time have the
realism to get to where we want to be step by step, without
overpromising, confusing people and without requiring massive
development investments. We should leverage people's own interests to
make contribution attractive. A good example of what seems to have
worked in attracting more contributions is going to time-based releases,
something I (among others) advocated.

In general, I think I've got some experience and ideas in this area that
I think might be useful.

better developer marketing
==========================

I think developer marketing is an important area where Zope can do
better. We have great brand awareness among developers, but we have a
lot of baggage and negative ideas about Zope exists as well. We need to
spruce up our image.

An important area of improvement is the website: Zope 2 and Zope 3
should have a more appealing and smaller website. The current community
based website has nice features, but I propose we replace it with
something low-tech that looks good. I've been doing some work to get
this process bootstrapped already.

reuse
=====

This is more a developer discussion, but it's an interest of mine so I
thought I'd list it. The issue is how Zope relates to the Python world
in general - Zope not being a world on its own. We can also step outside
the Python world and look at what we could reuse there.

How to avoid the Not Invented Here syndrome? One way to make Zope more
appealing is to make Zope more familiar to non-Zope developers by
reusing things invented somewhere else.

We've made great progress there but we can make more progress still.
Using best of breed components also is good when you want to market Zope
to people, of course.

easy to get started
===================

Another developer discussion is that it should be as easy as possible
for a new developer to get started with Zope. This is essential if we
want to gain mindshare. This in part conflicts with the wish to use best
of breed components which introduces dependencies. We need to carefully
manage the conflicting pulls between the two.

I think we should look at ways to make Zope (especially 3) easier to get
into. How to do this on the code level requires some careful design
taking into account the managing of scarce volunteer development resources.

Zope 2 and Zope 3
=================

We've had big discussions over how to manage the whole Zope 2 and Zope 3
story, with suggestions for renaming the platforms, the way we present
the platform, etc. This has strong ties to developer marketing, but is
also broader than that. We need to be careful we don't confuse people
and the road we're on now with Five has served us quite well in finding
direction.

That said, a course change that involves some rebranding seems required
at some point. We need to carefully manage how we do this, given the
limited resources we have.

Regards,

Martijn