[Zope-ZEO] ZODB packaging: what next?

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:41:12 -0400

I did a bit of work on the ZODB packaging tonight (the changes aren't
yet available on my FTP site, so don't go looking), and some questions
came up:

Issue 1: I forgot to package the BTree extensions, so I added them.
What other things should be packaged?  Alternative Storages are one
possibility; I've added BerkeleyStorage.py already.  OracleStorage and
DCOracle are another possibility, though I'm not sure how realistic
their use is; why would someone use ZODB on Oracle if they didn't have
to for legacy reasons?

What about the Catalog machinery?  This would *not* mean ZCatalog,
since that's Zope-specific; this would just be Catalog.py, plus
Lazy.py and the SearchIndex package which Catalog.py depends on.

Are there other packages useful to someone writing ZODB-only
applications?

Issue 2: Coordinating development.  I've created a CVS tree on my home
machine containing all the packages.  Is it worth my creating a
SourceForge project containing this tree?  (Packages would be resynced
with Zope & ZEO releases.)  Would DC object if I did this?

Pros of creating a SourceForge tree are that people can help develop
the administration scripts and other add-ons that aren't present in
Zope proper.  On the con side, much of the code really is the same as
in Zope.  There are a few minor patches (#include files, the odd
modified import) but those changes should really be propagated back
into the master tree.  And using CVS branches is always confusing...

An alternative would be to create a zodb/ CVS tree on cvs.zope.org
that symlinks into the Zope CVS tree, but this strikes me as a bad
idea; for some messy packages such as Catalog, the symlinking would be
messy indeed.

Thoughts?

--amk