[ZODB-Dev] Re: [Zope-ZEO] Has any progress been made on Bug 1783?

John D. Heintz jheintz@isogen.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:18:57 -0600

Jim,

Jim Fulton wrote:

> "John D. Heintz" wrote:
>
>> Jim,
>>
>> I think that the patch you already included from bug #1884 fixes this
>> bug #1783.
>

> Hm, I think so too. Can you verify this for me? If you verify that
> 1783 is fixed, I'll close it.

Yes, it does fix this bug.

>> Can you be more specific about the problems with __call_method__?
>

> When used to implement synchronized classes, it leaks memory. :(
> I suspect it leaks in other applications too.  I don't remember
> the details, but it's going to be tricky to fix.  The implementation
> of __call_method__ is quite complex, which makes it hard to fix.
> Maybe if I took a fresh look at it, I could come up with a simpler
> approach.

I would like it if you could take a look at simplifying the code.  If
you can in one hour find a nice clean way of doing something that would
take me a few days...

>> I'm afraid we are pretty dependent on it now,
>

> Interesting. Can you give a high-level description of what you are
> using it for?

The high level description of what we are using it for is the
Interceptor pattern (from POSA2 by Douglas Schmidt, et. al.).  That is
we want to be able to hook before and after method execution for our
Persistent objects.  The before hooks generally give us a place to check
for access and raise exceptions to forbid a method call, and the after
hooks allow for filtering the return from methods for access control and
a place to put side-effect code like email notifications.