[ZODB-Dev] Using AdaptableStorage

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:30:56 -0500

Rocky Burt wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Time to start yet another AdaptableStorage conversation ;)
>
> I want to be able to use AdaptableStorage in a production environment on
> a MS SQL Server database within the next couple months.  Here is what I
> see as outstanding issues concerning AdaptableStorage.
>
>   1. Performance has not yet been addressed (of course I realize that
> AdaptableStorage is still in development)

We would need to address specific performance requirements.  Do you know
what is slowing down?

>   2. Content/object mapping configuration is too tedious/complicated

I agree.  I'm trying to discover patterns so we can look at inventing
shortcuts or, if necessary, creating an XML schema.  Have you tried
making your own mapper configuration?

>   3. Too cumbersome configuring any db other than PostgreSQL to work.

We just haven't really tried mapping to any other database yet. ;-)

>   4. Mounting storages is cumbersome (this is probably something for
> DBTab, but in our current circumstances, it directly references
> AdaptableStorage as well ;))

For this, we need to define how we expect users to use mounted
databases.  We can't let users mount databases through the web, since
that would be a security hole, but perhaps we could let them do more of
the process of mounting databases through the web than they can today.

> Now, here are some questions of mine:
>
>   1. Is there a commercial entity pushing the development of
> AdaptableStorage, or is this a pure opensource project?

Zope Corp. thought it would need the product right away, but it actually
didn't.  (Well, in fact, because the product was created, we avoided
wasting a lot of time making RDBMS-oriented code and got the product out
the door on schedule. ;-) )

>   2. What can I do to help?

Offtopic: A sponsoring customer would sure help, although we'd still be
in need of an engineer or two around here.  Virginia is great, everyone. ;-)

http://www.zope.com/Corporate/CareerOpportunities

> ps.  I just remembered AdaptableStorage has been renamed to APE, sorry
> ;)

Don't worry, I'm still getting used to it too.

Shane