[ZODB-Dev] FileStorage database unrecoverable?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:27:39 +0200

>>Am I wrong in thinking that another reason is that DirectoryStorage and
>>BerkeleyStorage already break the database up in separate files too,
>>which alleviates this problem to an extent?
>

> That's right.  PartitionedFileStorage doesn't do anything that the more
> interesting storages can't do.  At the time I created the hack, the
> alternatives were not yet mature, but now they are.

But, Directory Storage pretty much requires that you use ReiserFS or
NTFS or something like that. It is a little bit slower that File Storage.

Berkeley Storage requires that you run a Berkeley DB. It is somewhat
slower than File Storage.

Partitioned File Storage is simple and just works on any system, and has
no particular external dependences. It is as fast as File Storage.

I think there's a viable niche for Partitioned File Storage.

--
Steve Alexander