[ZODB-Dev] performance of chunked data over ZEO

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun Nov 28 14:56:48 EST 2004

Inside an application that stored large amounts of data in the ZODB as
linked
structure (very similar to the Pdata magic in OFS.Image) I discovered that
the chunk size has a significant influcence on the performance.  Using a
chunk
size of 16k (which is also the default in OFS.Image) I got the expected
transfer
rate of about 2-3MB/second. Increasing the chunk size to 64K caused a
performance
loss to about 100-150 KB/seconds. Any ideas why increasing the chunk size
causes such a dramatic performance loss?

Andreas