[ZODB-Dev] Best practices for indexing

Diez Roggisch d.roggisch at ehotel.de
Mon Sep 13 09:30:04 EDT 2004

hi,

> The basic purpose of ZCatalog is surely not to index fancy datastructures
> but
> the attributes of content objects in the ZODB. Best you get the Zope Book
> 2.7 edition
> and read how ZCatalog works and what kind of indexes it provides to figure
> out
> if they match your usecase.

Ok, so it seems its not - my objects are not so much text-based.

> Otherwise write your own index or try something
> else :-)

Thats exactly my question - if there is some advice out there how to do that.
I'm very well aware that I'm not very likely to get a pluggable solution to
that - but some tips what people use to create indices, and how they deal
with updating issues.

> For complex queries look at AdvancedQuery.

Interesting for ZOPE-related stuff, but the actual part of building and
evaluating a query is handled by my little language. From what I understand,
AdvancedQuery only enhances the expressional strength of queries against
ZCatalog.

Regards,

Diez