[ZODB-Dev] Transaction note interface

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Wed Sep 15 11:40:14 EDT 2004

[Christian Theune]
> [ Christian stops annoying Tim. ]

Yay <wink>!

> "OK".
>
> I can live with that behaviour as it's not worse than it's now and it
> will avoid real pain. (At least for me)

OK.

> Whatever the time schedule is --

3.2.4 and 3.3 have both gone into "release candidate" status since this
started, so it's too late for them.  3.2.5/3.3.1 are the earliest
opportunities now.

> I'd have to dig a while to see if I can provide a patch. Dunno if that
> would be a 30 minute task for someone else.

I don't think anything goes that fast, alas.  There's at least the code, and
testing, and writing new tests, and docs, and porting across ZODB versions,
and writing NEWS blurbs.  The code is the least of it:  FileStorage._begin()
needs to be rewritten, to replace (this is non-obvious) self._ude with
chopped versions if necessary, to recompute self._thl accordingly, and to
pump out log messages.

The value of a patch is that it would be an unambiguous way of communicating
exactly what kind of chopping you could live with.  If I do it, I'd take
approximately 32K characters each from the start and from the end, and stick
"\n\n[... data removed here, to fit in 64KB ...]\n\n" in the middle.