[Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung" <andreas@zope.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:08:29 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tres Seaver" <tseaver@zope.com>
To: "Andreas Jung" <andreas@zope.com>
Cc: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>; "Joachim Werner"
<joe@iuveno-net.de>; "Jason Earl" <jason.earl@simplot.com>;
<zope-coders@zope.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 09:57
Subject: Re: [Zope-Coders] Re: [Zope] WebDAV Locks / 2.4.3/ MS Office 2000

> If you are adding code which is supposed to be effective only in
> the presence of a particular request header, then it should be possible
> to write a unit test which asserts that the feature occurs when that
> header is present, but doesn't when not.  The information needed to
> do the test is the same as the information needed to add the feature.
>
> I am particularly concerned that code which gets added to the core to
> work around bugs in clients be isolated, where possilble;  otherwise,
> well-behaved clients pay the freight (increased complexity, and therefore
> increased likelihood of bugs) for the buggy ones.

WebDAV workarounds are isolated (based on the information obtained
from the useragent string). But a unit test is not sufficient because
it covers only a small part of the interaction between WebDAV clients
and Zope. A series of requests/replies can hardly covered by a unit test.
Tools like OpenSTA are more supposed for such purposes.

- aj