[Zope-dev] Zope 2.6+ pyton 2.3 ? and "Bad Call" on zope 2.6.2/python 2.1.3 with profiling turned on.

Tres Seaver tseaver at zope.com
Wed Oct 29 09:29:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 05:28, Romain Slootmaekers wrote:
> Yo,
>
> I have an elaborate piece of python code that works fine, but with
> profiling turned on, it barfs a "Bad Call" message.
>
> When google-ing for a solution, the only thing I could find was a
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2003-June/018510.html
>
> There's a follow up stating it's "already fixed",
> and does not occur in  Python 2.2.x and beyond.
>

> So now my questions are:
>
> -  how difficult is it to get a zope 2.6.2 (or 2.7) working with a
> python 2.2.x or 2.3. on a windows platform? (I read up on the changes
> between 2.6 and 2.7 and it does not seem to change python version.)

In general, you should be able to run Zope 2.6.2 with Python 2.2.3
without issues (but *don't* use Python 2.2 - 2.2.2, nor Zope 2.6 - 2.6.1
in this mode!).  I'm afraid I don't know enough Windows majyk to tell
you an easy way to upgrade the Python on the box;  I would install 2.2.3
separately, and then hack the startup.bat (or whatever) to use that
Python.

> - I believe there's a concensus that the next major 2.X release should
> jump immediately 2.3, but is there a timeline ?

We are looking to release Zope 2.7b3 (which will prefer Python 2.3),
soon,  Here is what Brian wrote yesterday:

> I'd like to try to have another bug day next Tuesday (Nov 3) to
> make up for the one that was cut short last week, in preparation
> for a beta 2 release of Zope 2.7.
>

> - or is there a workaround/solution to the "Bad Call" problem?
>
> This all to see if I should invest time in getting a 2.6 or 2.7 +python
> 2.3 up and running or I should do my own time measurements/profiling effort.

There are substantial performance benefits (at least on the platforms I
know) in moving from 2.1.3 to 2.2.3.  I am told, and believe, that 2.3.2
will provide further such benefits.

Tres.
Tres Seaver                                tseaver at zope.com