[Zope-dev] zope.testing console script

Christian Theune ct at gocept.com
Thu May 15 08:40:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 02:19:17PM +0200, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Christian Theune <ct at gocept.com> wrote:

> >> Is there a reason to advocate zope.testing over the others? Would it
> >> perhaps make more sense to use one of the more widely used tools instead
> >> of maintaing our own testing toolkit?
>
> Good question,
>
> I am not through in my comparison work, but the range of features are
> quite interesting in zope.testing ihmo, compared to others, and the zope
> community is used to it.

Make sure you look at the trunk as well. I did some major refactorings on the
grok sprint.

> Yes, and other provides test fixtures at method, class, module and
> (nose) package level.
>
> Although, py.test and nose provide a lighter approach where there's no need
> to use the unittest base classes, as the tools wraps on the fly any
> function, class so there's no need for extra boiler-plate code.

The refactoring would be able to do that with a plugin.

> py.test is using an iterator to launch tests immediatly while looking
> for them, the script is very fast

Even when gathering thousands of tests, this usually takes less than 1% of the
time that the tests actually take to run. So it's a nice point but not that
important IMHO.

> This work i am doing is for a book, but I can publish the conclusion here if
> it can help making a decision on this.
>
> At this point I think that the work being done by Collin Winter in Python 3K
> will lead to a new testing framework in Python/unitest  that will be
> less Java-oriented
> and lighter for test writer.
>
> From there, the third party libraries will probably be reduced to the
> test discovery
> part. (I don't think this will be integrated in python but I might be wrong)

And reporting and integrating debugging tools and ... I guess.

> My point of view is that zope.testing should evolve a little bit to be usable
> naturally from the command line like others, and maybe be more flexible in the
> discovering part, by wrapping tests that are not based on TestCase.

The refactoring should allow this more easily.

Christian

Christian Theune · ct at gocept.com