[Zope] Zope and PDF

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:01:37 +0100

Joachim Schmitz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use a different aproach to generate PDF in my simple officemanagement I
> built with Zope and ZPatterns.
>
> On the inputform for my invoice generator I have a button "write invoice",
> this calls a python script outside of Zope with the invoice-nr as parameter.
> This python programm gets its data from Zope via xml-rpc, it could also
> report back to Zope when it is ready.

That's fine provided these things are true:

1: Your invoice data is immutable. No-one can change it once it has been
submitted for printing.

2: You don't have times when there's so many invoices being generated in
parallel that it places a high load on the system.

3: You don't mind about the overhead of starting up ReportLab every time
you want to generate an invoice.

I solve 1 by writing out the changeable data to a file, 2 by having a
single queue for generating reports that services all the zope instances
on a machine, 3 by keeping a long running process to generate reports.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer