[Zope] call for a new list -- did we ever come to a conclusion?

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 02:24:21 -0500

I vote for a NNTP feed of the list.  I have no idea whats needed and I
certainly dont have the time to do it.  but I read c.l.p on occassion
because its NNTP.  I rarely step to the popermail archives for zope, c.l.p,
or cmf.  unless I'm looking for something.  I think the mailing list is way
too busy for its own good and support the notion of having a zope-advanced
place for people to talk about product development and more technical issues
than the main zope mailing list.  I also think zope-dev isnt appropriate
since it is for the internals of zope.

are there any takers for doing this?  if ZOPE gets more and more newbies we
will just see a increase in traffic to the main zope mailing list and the
more experienced people will leave.  most of the newbie questions can, in
fact be answered by newbies or people who have been using zope for a few
days.  I bet segmenting the list would maybe increase subscription -- who
wants to drink out of a firehose?  I'm fine for drinking out of a zope
newbie fountain.

whats very worrying is that Andrew says he got personal attacks.  I know the
Zope community has grown in the past few years.  but I thought on a whole
the community was mature enough and warm-hearted enough to be above personal
attacks.  I agree w/ webmaven that he should post these emails publicly so
we could see the offenders.   We shoulndt tolerate this in our community.

~runyaga