[Zope3-dev] Re: URLs & Paths

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sat, 08 Dec 2001 11:56:43 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:

> > At the class level, of course you will be able to mix-in Acquisition.Implicit
> > or Acquisition.Explicit. Even if a class mixes in neither, other
> > objects will be able to use acquisition explicitly in a URL:
> >
> >   .../aContact/view;acquire
>
> don't really follow that, what does that URL actually mean?

Sorry, that was a horrible example. How about:

  .../aContact/foo;acquire

meaning to acquire some object named "foo".

> How would you say "I want to acquire the 'view' presentation component"?

Components are always acquired, or iow found placefully.

To get the contact "view" presentation, you'd use:

  .../aContact/view;view

where here the name "view" names both a specific presentation
component and the presentation namespace.

> How would you say "I don't want to acquire anything, gimme the 'list'
> presentation component"?

Let me try to clarify. To me, "acquire" means find something in a place/context.
Component lookup is always placeful.