[Zope3-dev] Are there Graphic Designers?

Matt Behrens matt@zigg.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 06:34:14 -0500

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 09:57:18PM -0500, Gary Poster wrote:

> Hi--I just wanted to weigh in on this briefly.  I used Plone for a quick
> project and was both impressed with the slick design and dismayed by the
> slowness.  I peripherally followed a conversation about this on one of the
> lists which said that at least part of the issue was that the ZPT code
> itself needs to be optimized a bit more to get it up to DTML's speed.
>
> Whatever the case, even if I am remembering this incorrectly, please do keep
> speed in mind when adapting the very slick Plone look to Zope3.  And
> congratulations on a great looking skin--we would be lucky indeed to have
> Zope3 look as professional.

+10 on speed (begging, borrowing, and stealing points as needed).

Please, everyone, keep in mind that the point of the ZMI is for
management, and as such it should be as free as possible of unnecessary
graphics and complex constructs that give browsers headaches.  KISS.
However Zope is changing, I don't see it changing that the site
manager will still be drilling down through several pages to get
where he needs to go in order to do what he has to do.  If this is
time-consuming and difficult, the Zope 10X goal is going to be
thwarted right off the bat when the evaluator discovers what a PITA
he's in for.

Browser compatibility is also a HUGE issue here.  In #zope alone
today, we have people managing their sites with Mozilla, IE, Netscape
4, and w3m.  I don't see it as impossible that some will want to
use lynx or something similar.  An interface that works for these
people (much like .../manage_main works today for the unframed) is
needed.

Now, all that said, I like Plone, and were I creating a site today,
I'd certainly consider it.  Just so I don't hurt feelings :-)